Strolling back in time along Sacramento's K Street

12:22 PM, Jun 4, 2013   |    comments
  • 900 K St. -- This circa 1939 photograph captures the south side of K Street, between Ninth and Tenth streets. Built in 1910, the Hotel Land at 1106 Tenth, sits to the far left. To the far right, and built in 1911, is the Forum Building at 1107 Ninth. Visible businesses include the Owl Drug Company at 900 K, Moss Women's Clothing at 906 K, Wilson's Confectionary at 908 K, and the legendary Fox Senator at 912 K. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 831 K St. -- In 1880 Marshall Hale's sons Evert and Prentis opened an establishment dealing in dry goods, clothing and miscellany at 812 K Street called the Criterion, the family's fourth store in Northern California. Later that year the store, re-named Hale Bros. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 911 K St. -- This circa 1913 image shows the 87-room Hotel Sequoia, at 911 K Street. Built in 1908, it was next door to the Sequoia Theater, at that time, one of almost a dozen K Street venues offering motion pictures. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 901 K St. -- Bunting drapes both display windows at the 901 K Street entrances to Jim Patterson's in this photograph circa 1935. For over 80 years Patterson and his family sold Stetson hats and men's clothing from K Street, moving uptown every decade or so from the 600 block to this location, where they stayed until the shop finally closed. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 830 K St. -- Pedestrians shuffle their way by S.H. Kress and Company at 818 and Montgomery Ward at 830 K Street in this snowy March 14, 1942, photograph. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 719 K St. - - This circa 1940 photograph reveals the southern face of the Ochsner Building. Resting at the corner of Seventh and K streets, the structure's first three stories were built in 1904, with two more added in 1922. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 708-710 K St. -- The Schindler Building just up from 7th Street in the shadow of the pink Post Office housed two popular entertainment venues, the Fairyland Theater and Ancil Hoffman's saloon. A century ago the Fairyland was one of ten theaters on K Street showing motion pictures and Hoffman's tavern drew policemen, politicians, sporting men and underground elements through its swinging doors. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 726-730 K St. -- This May 14, 1941, photograph shows the smart facade of Gensler-Lee Jewelers at 730 K Street. The Sacramento location, opened just days before this photograph was taken, was one of 17 Gensler-Lee locations in the American West. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 722 K St. -- The reputation of W. T. Grant was as solid as the brick covering the building bearing his name and for nearly fifty years locals and visitors spent their change at 722 K Street. A fire in 1936 brought the business back bigger and better the following year. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 1120 K St. -- Resting in splendor at Twelfth and K, in this November 19, 1940 photo, is the Weinstock, Lubin & Company department store. It was built in 1924 for 1.25 million dollars and opened on June 2nd to tremendous fanfare. It was modeled after the prominent Paris department store, Printemps, while the Cahill Brothers of San Francisco were responsible for construction. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 1101 K St. -- Architect Bryan J. Clinch followed Bishop Patrick Manogue's vision for what was to become the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament at 1101 K Street. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 7th & K St. -- Sacramento's venerable commercial hub - Seventh and K - is the subject of this circa 1910 image. As one looks easterly, notable structures include, to the right, Lavenson's Shoes which, founded in 1877, was located on the first floor of the Capital Hotel, built in 1871. To the left is the brick façade of the Federal Building and Post Office, built in 1893/94. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 1219 K St. -- The elegant Esquire Theater opened on March 15, 1940, the newest effort from designer William B. David and owner J.S. Blumenfeld. Jointly responsible for the recently constructed Tower Theater, the pair made sure that the seats were all roomy, the projection, sound and temperature “perfect” and the films first-run. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 1100 K St. -- This photograph of the Pacific Gas and Electric Company building at, 1100 K, was taken in July 1941. Built in 1912/13 as an administrative hub for PG and E, its exterior was made of pressed brick with touches of terra cotta, while its superstructure was framed with steel. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 1018-1022 K St. -- Lavenson's, as seen in 1939, at 1018-1020 K, was founded in 1877 by Gus Lavenson. By 1942, it was recognized as the oldest firm of its kind on the west coast. Over those 65 years, Lavenson's sold an estimated 4,000,000 pairs of shoes, and since 1882, customarily gifted children their first pair of baby shoes. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 1013 K St. -- Surviving fires, an accident that took a pedestrian's life in 1946 and changing trends from vaudeville to talking pictures, the Crest (formerly the Empress and Hippodrome) underwent at least three major renovations over the past century. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 1031 K St. -- The Parkview Apartments rested above a variety of businesses since 1912 at 1031 K Street, including grocers Mohr & Yoerk, but for 20 years Bon Marche was the destination at 11th & K Streets. Patterned on a Parisian-based ladies department store, the business had drawn customers on K Street since 1913 before it moved uptown in 1933. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
  • 1030 K St. -- This circa 1975 photograph captures the Hotel Regis at 1106 Eleventh, and See's Candies at 1028 K. Through the Interwar period, the 60-room Regis had the reputation for being a family-oriented hotel. (Captions and historical photo courtesy: Sacramento Public Library)
    
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • FILED UNDER

Taking a look at historical images of K Street next to present-day pictures of the same locations. For full captions and more information, copy the following web address into your browser: http://www.saclibrary.org/SacQR/1000-K/?page=3

Most Watched Videos