Chevy Camaro (Photo by Dan MacMedan, USA Today)
LOS ANGELES -- Honda is the top brand for retaining the most resale value, but Toyota and Audi do well, too, a company that tracks car depreciation says.
But Toyota has the most models overall for cars with best resale in their segments, from the Prius C, a hybrid, for alternative fuel vehicles; to the Land Cruiser for fullsize premium utility vehicles, according ALG, formerly known as Automotive Lease Guide.
Audi did well, too.
"Toyota, Audi and Honda captured the most segment honors due to the consistent high value of all their products," said Larry Dominique, President of ALG. "Honda was named top Mainstream Brand due to their prudent use of (sales) incentives - $1,000 lower than the mainstream average - and low rental fleet penetration."
ALG is handing out its top vehicle honors this week at the Los Angeles Auto Show. Vehicles that were tops in their segment included:
• Hyundai Accent (Subcompact Car)
• Mazda Mazda3 (Compact Car)
• Chevrolet Corvette (Premium Sports Car)
• Chevrolet Camaro (Mainstream Sports Car)
• Toyota Avalon (Fullsize Car)
• Porsche Panamera (Premium Executive)
• Kia Soul (Subcompact Utility Vehicle)
ALG also established five new segments for the 2014:
• Midsize Utility 2-Row (Winner: Hyundai Santa Fe Sport)
• Midsize Utility 3-Row (Winner: Toyota Highlander)
• Off-Road Utility (Winner: Toyota FJ Cruiser)
• Premium Midsize Utility 2-Row (Winner: Land Rover Range Rover Sport)
• Premium Midsize Utility 3-Row (Winner: Audi Q7)
By Chris Woodyard