SACRAMENTO - In a statement issued late Monday, representatives of Sacramento Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof say they're no longer ruling out moving the struggling NBA franchise from its longtime home in Sacramento.
In a one sentence statement issued to News10, the Maloof brothers said they "are looking at all options to ensure the long term viability of this franchise."
The statement came in response to an article in the Orange County Register which suggested the Kings could move to Anaheim.
There have been persistent rumors the owners were considering moving the team, with cities from Seattle to Louisville, KY mentioned as possible destinations. But in the past, the Maloof brothers have always insisted that they intended to leave the team in Sacramento.
Asked for his reaction, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson told reporters Tuesday that the statement: "...is just good business. You have to look at all your options...the Maloofs have always said they want to be in Sacramento, this is their ideal location and you know they've been patient for ten plus years that we've been trying to get a new entertainment-sports complex and we firmly believe this time is going to be different and we're going to do everything we can to make that a reality."
POLL: Would you miss the Kings if they left?
The Sacramento First Task Force is supposed to unveil results from a public hearing on the arena at the end of the month. That public hearing took place last week.
The Kings are in Washington Tuesday, for the second of a six- game road trip. Their next home game is Wed., Jan. 19, against the Portland Trailblazers.
Jonathan Mumm contributed to this report. firstname.lastname@example.org