NY girl dies while playing mini golf in Orlando

1:06 PM, Jun 28, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - A medical examiner says an 11-year-old New York girl was electrocuted while trying to retrieve a ball from a pond at a time-share resort's miniature golf course near Orlando.

Orange County deputies say Ashton Jojo cried out in pain Wednesday afternoon as she stepped into the 2-foot-deep pond. Orange Lake Resort guest Christopher Burges of Alabama heard her screams and tried to rescue her. He was also injured.

The girl died shortly after arriving at Florida Hospital Celebration.

The Orlando Sentinel

The Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner confirmed electrocution as the cause of death Thursday. Inspectors say it appears that electrical breakers for the pond's pump were improperly replaced.

Authorities said the Latham, N.Y., girl turned 11 on Friday. She was visiting Orlando with her parents and brother.

The Associated Press

Most Watched Videos