LIVE VIDEO: News10 at 5:00pm    Watch
 

U.S. takes control of dinosaur skeleton in NY Friday

4:49 PM, Jun 20, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

NEW YORK (AP) - A New York judge's approval has cleared the way for a dinosaur skeleton held by an auction house to be moved to U.S. control on Friday.

Authorities said Wednesday the skeleton will be carefully transferred in boxes so no damage is done to the 70 million-year-old bones.

Department of Homeland Security spokesman Luis Martinez says the skeleton will be moved to a government warehouse. He says the government cannot disclose the name or address of the storage site because other priceless antiquities are there.

The government sued to recover the dinosaur earlier this week.

It says the dinosaur should be returned to Mongolia, where it was unearthed in the last two decades.

Heritage Auctions co-chairman Jim Halperin says Heritage looks forward to releasing the dinosaur after it was assured it will be properly and carefully transported and stored.

The Associated Press

Most Watched Videos