Francisco Garcia reacts after scoring three of his 17 points, in the Kings 106-97 win over the Utah Jazz.
SACRAMENTO, CA - On the eve before the NBA's relocation committee is set to meet with Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson, a Sports Illustrated report surfaced on Wednesday indicating that the Kings may not leave town after all.
According to Sam Amick of SI.com, sources said an NBA representative has already advised the Kings business office to prepare season-ticket packages and corporate sponsorships for next season in Sacramento, as efforts were previously halted, with the uncertain future of the franchise.
The report also indicated that the Maloof family, which owns the Kings, is facing enough opposition from other NBA owners who may prevent them from moving to Anaheim, forcing the Maloofs to remain in Sacramento.
The NBA has twice delayed the deadline for the Maloofs to file for relocation, most recently moving the deadline from April 18 to May 2.
Beginning Thursday, Johnson will host Oklahoma City Thunder owner Clay Bennett, the relocation committee's chairman, and league counsel Harvey Benjamin in Sacramento, to attempt to prove to the league why Sacramento remains a viable market for the NBA.
Bennett was the owner of the Seattle Supersonics who moved the franchise to Oklahoma City in 2008, after purchasing the team in 2006. Bennett moved the team after Seattle failed to deliver a publicly funded new arena.
Sports Illustrated also cited sources who said the Anaheim presentation at last week's NBA Board of Governors meetings was as ineffective as Johnson's was impactful.
Click here to read the entire report from Amick at SI.com.
By Sean Cunningham, SCunningham@News10.net