SACRAMENTO - The California Highway Patrol has issued a warning for the possibility of black ice throughout the region for drivers Monday morning.
A lane of Sunrise Blvd. at Zinfandel Dr. closed due to black ice and an accident.
An accident was also reported in an area with black ice in South Sacramento on Florin Rd. at Florin Mall Drive.
Overnight, Caltrans crews stood by with sand for reports of water in the roadway along Interstate 80 by the Raley exit.
Stockton CHP reported black ice on the 99 overpass to the Crosstown freeway.
The CHP and Triple AAA advise in these freezing conditions:
- Easing up on the gas
- Not slamming on brakes if you encounter ice.
- Be prepared with extra room between you and the car in front of you when black ice is a possibility.
- Don't use cruise control if icy conditions are a possibility.
- Steer in the direction you want your front tires to go if you hit a patch of ice.
- Keep your gas tank half full.
Freezing temperatures and water from sprinklers etc can lead to ice in unexpected areas and it's often hard to spot until you slide onto it.