LIVE VIDEO: Sac & Co    Watch
 
 

Sacramento Kings arena deal has fallen apart

4:27 PM, Apr 13, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Video: Sacramento City Council reacts to arena deal news

NBA Commissioner David Stern

NEW YORK - NBA Commissioner David Stern says the tentative deal reached between the league, the city of Sacramento and the Sacramento Kings for a new arena is off.

Speaking in New York Friday afternoon, Stern said at the time of the February term sheet agreement for a $391 million venue, it was believed "the Kings could do well in Sacramento, the city of Sacramento could do well and the NBA could do well" with the proposal.

Earlier Friday, Kings owner George Maloof said in a news conference the Kings wanted to stay in Sacramento. But Stern also said it was the Maloofs' right to re-examine the deal that had been agreed to and he said there was nothing more the league can do to make a deal happen.

The commissioner said he believed the franchise would play in the capital city in the 2012-13 season. He commended the spirit of the Sacramento community to keep the team and build a new arena.

Stern would not speculate on supporting a request by the Maloofs to relocate the team should they apply for that.

Speaking after meeting with the Maloofs and Stern's announcement, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson said he "doesn't know where we go from here."

"I am baffled, to say the least, how we ended up here," Johnson said.

The mayor disputed the Maloofs and their legal representative saying the city had not responded to their disagreement with some provisions in the term sheet. He also said the Kings owners had not wanted before to renovate Power Balance Pavilion, the current Kings arena in Natomas, as they suggested Friday. 

Johnson said he did not support having the city help the Kings upgrade the Natomas facility.

As for the city committing more collateral to make a new arena happen, Johnson said, "We cannot do more."

News10/KXTV

Most Watched Videos