D.A.: Will not charge arrested 'Occupy Sacramento' protestors

4:30 PM, Oct 24, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

SACRAMENTO, CA - "Occupy Sacramento" protestors arrested earlier this month when they allegedly refused to disperse per police orders will not be prosecuted by the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office.

District attorney spokeswoman Shelly Orio said it was determined the demonstrators did not violate state penal code. After review, the D. A.'s office concluded the protestors did not not gather at Cesar Chavez Park in an unlawful assembly that posed a clear and present danger that violence would occur nor was there violence.

Upon learning of the D.A.'s decision, the Sacramento Police Department offered the following statement:

The police department will continue to make arrests and file charges on violations when appropriate.. If they see a violation they will take appropriate action.  They will then forward those cases to the DA's office for them to handle as they wish.

As for the protestors, media liaison Cres Vellucci said, "Occupy Sacramento' protestors will remain in the park risking arrest to express their First Amendment right."

The D.A.'s office said it was up to the Sacramento city attorney's office to decide if it would press charges for alleged violation of city park hours.

There have been 75 protestors arrested.

News10/KXTV

Most Watched Videos