SACRAMENTO, CA - While the NBA players' association continues its appeal of the two-game suspension already served by DeMarcus Cousins, the Sacramento Kings center apologized to teammates for causing an unwanted distraction.
"Definitely a position I don't want to be in again and I apologize again to my teammates," Cousins said on Wednesday, following a team practice.
Cousins was suspended two games for confronting San Antonio Spurs announcer Sean Elliot in what was deemed as a "hostile manner" by the league. The confrontation occurred last Friday night after the Spurs defeated the Kings 97-86 at Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento.
The players union called the two-game ban to the 22-year-old Cousins "excessive and unwarranted."
After missing the last two games in Los Angeles against the Lakers and the Tuesday night in a home blowout loss to Portland, Cousins is eligible to return on Friday when the Kings host the Atlanta Hawks.
Through a statement issued earlier in the day through his agent John Greig, Cousins said he believes the penalty was unjustified.
Meanwhile, Kings players and head coach Keith Smart tried to figure out a number of the team's struggles coming off of Tuesday night's loss to Portland.
By Friday's game against Atlanta, the team will have two full days of practice time and will be at full strength.
Besides having Cousins back in the starting lineup, point guards Isaiah Thomas, who missed Tuesday's game for personal reasons, and Aaron Brooks, who left Tuesday's game due to an ankle injury, will also return.
By Sean Cunningham, SCunningham@News10.net